Friday, February 17, 2012

Plan of Attack..

So, it is no secret that due to the nerve impingement, that thank goodness disappeared, I have not been able to get any run longer than 9 miles in.  That being said, I have no concern in the world that I will not be able to complete it because I have not run longer than 9 miles recently.  I did 13.1 in much, much, worse shape when I could not even run a full 9 miles.  None the less, I have put together a plan.

Take walk breaks at the get go.... HMM!  Wow, that is a new one, lol.  I heard Jeff Galloway will be at the Disney Princess so I picked up two of his books:
Galloway's Book on Runningand Marathon: You Can Do It!

I bought these because we happened to be in Barnes & Nobles getting Pea a book on Polar Bears for her 2nd Grade Talent Development research project and might as well look in the running section too for Mama.  Plus, with him being at Disney wanted to check out his thoughts prior. Also needed to start thinking of a plan for my Chicago Marathon debut ;)

After reading the "Book on Running" I thought it would be good to go into this Half with a plan to conserve my energy by adding in walk breaks.  Now, Jeff suggests walk 4 min/run 1 type of things but really?  No, not for this event.  First, I do not want to be constantly looking at my watch, second, I don't think I need to break it up that much to get thru.  What I have planned is take a 60 second walk break at every mile marker - easy enough to identify and might actually help my time vs. negatively impact it as I have read in his book.  This will allow me to:
1) Give my muscles a bit of a break
2) Guarantee a strong finish

So, that is the plan as well as keeping my pace around 10 min/mile.  Perhaps I will do this just for the first 10 miles or so then run the rest, that will be determined at the race but needless to say
I'M GETTING REALLY EXCITED!!!!

Also, in other news!  I will be running with the Dwarfs through the Castle this September to get  my Coast to Coast!  Yep, I saw the numbers going up to 87% full and the chances of it being at 100% before Princess Expo starts are really high, so this year's goal is Coast to Coast! Mine will say 2013, lol
Next year's Disney Goal:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment