Thursday, February 9, 2012

The HUGE Decision

Two friends kept telling me I should to the Chicago Marathon, registration just opened, it is a nice, flat course, yada, yada, yada.  Mind you, I do consider myself a runner, but a marathon runner?  I saw a movie on Netflix, Sprit of a Marathon, http://www.marathonmovie.com/ that documented several runner's preparations for the Chicago Marathon. Granted I was moved, but thought, "Ok, maybe when I turn 40 that would be cool to acomplish."

Well, fast forward to this past Monday.  My foot was really swollen on the top due to either too tight laces during my last 5K on Feb. 28th or a stress fracture.  Not a good scenario either way, and really concerned about my running and completing the Disney Princess in 3 weeks. The thought of doing a marathon was no where near the top of my concerns for the day as I made myself an appointment with a Sports Doctor for Tuesday to put a plan together on what I need to do to get thru the next 13.1.

My co-worker, who is always running, said I really need to think about signing up as the registration is expected to close soon.  Well, um, ok.. not sure I want to run 26.2 or train for it.  The deciding factor for me was looking at Hal Higdon's Novice Supreme Marathon Training plan that can be found at http://www.halhigdon.com/.  Easy peasy, nice way to really take my training a step back after this next half, build a good base and acomplish the 26.2.  Heck, I reasoned that even if my foot is broken, I have more than enough time, not yet 40, but that really did not matter.  Following the plan and modifying it somewhat to keep my longer weekned runs, I might.. maybe..can..Soooo......

I REGISTERED FOR MY FIRST MARATHON
AND MY JOURNEY HAS BEGUN!!!

I even booked the hotel room for Hubby, Monkey and Pea to join me.  I liked the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Facebook and went on with my day.  5 or so hours later, I found out via Facebook that registrtion closed!  WOW!  Glad I took the chance and made a quick decision. (Foot is most likey bruised or compressed, did 3 miles yesterday with little discomfort so getting better now.)

 I've kind of kept this quiet on Facebook with the exception of a post to a running group I am a member of.  But, thinking about it today on my way to a meeting at work, this is a huge undertaking, something worth documenting!   Kind of like the adoption of Pea and Monkey, it is a journey that will change my life and I will accomplish something huge!  I hope you join me as I prepare my mind and body to run (that is right, I want to run the entire distance) 26 miles and 385 yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment